I watched MTV's new series 'The Valleys' once. I won't be doing so again.
  For a start, the title's a big problem. It should rightly be called 'Bum! Fuck! Tits! Slag! Shag!', which would not only sum it up, but contain most of the dialogue.
   Also, in the 1980s myself and the great-but-now sadly-not-publishing poet John Davies edited an anthology of prose and poetry from the Valleys with the same title. Will Seren Books sue, I wonder?
  Of course, it wasn't about the Valleys at all, but followed the well-worn formula of Geordie Shore, Essex Whatever and Jersey Shore (does the latter really exist?) in which young and so-called glamorous young people are placed into a human laboratory ( house in Cardiff) as we observe their drunken, sexual antics.
   The very term 'reality TV' is a classic example of Orwellian newspeak. It's like calling 'Merlin' a historical documentary. Like 'Big Brother' it employs all the elements of psychological control which Orwell railed against in '1984'.
   These young people have been brainwashed by our shallow society into believing that the only way to get out of their 'crappy', 'shitty' towns is through celebrity.
   Who can blame them? This is the 21st century fantasy promoted by most of the media, with their obsession with fame at all costs.
   Jenna, with her law degree and boob job, doesn't want to be a solicitor, but 'rich and famous'.
   Only the gay rugby player Liam seemed untouched by this monomania. It's no wonder Gareth 'Alfie' Thomas admires the programme, as the only glimpses of humanity were the positive responses to Liam's very public coming out.
   So , where was the obesity, the fading tracksuits, disability benefits and diabetes?
   These too are cliches of the Valleys, yet ones which are tragically closer to the truth today, as we struggle with  the consequences of junk food and poverty.
   What does the programme actually tell us about  the Valleys? That there are young people desperate to get out to the bright lights of the city?.......They are probably there clubbing  most weekends.
   They end up modelling on the beach ( is it Costa Coryton?) with fish flapping from bikini bottoms ( Jenna again, despite her fish phobia!) or handing out leaflets for a night club.
   Of course, the stereotypes abound : rocking sheep not horse, ubiquitous  red dragon flag and typical Valleys' barbie, complete with inflated condoms ( a delicacy round these parts).
  I began to speculate whether Iain Duncan Smith ( who famously urged the unemployed to get on the bus and look for work in Cardiff) wasn't the programme's producer.

I have wondered if it was worth bothering to write about this series at all, yet there may well be people whose views of the Valleys are affected by it.
   Unfortunately, it is feeding into a consciousness that, aside from a few cliches, we are all basically the same : a chainstore/ supermarket uniformity.
   It seems perverse in times of the New Depression, but I do feel there are unique opportunities in the Valleys.
   Not only are there many skilled young people out of work, but there are also graduates who, in the past, would have left the area to find work.
   I believe the Welsh Government must take the initiative and run a concerted campaign to encourage and enable people to set up co-operatives throughout the Valleys and the Credit Unions ( themselves co-operative banks) can play a crucial role in this.
   They must put as much effort and energy into this scheme - call it  'Co-op Cymru' - as they would into election campaigns.
   Conventions should be held in various locations bringing together all these young people, pooling their ideas and helping them with their plans and getting loans in the form of development grants and social enterprise.
   There are enough young people who care about these places I personally love so much and change is already happening on a small scale.
   MTV's 'The Valleys'  is an insult to our acute awareness of history, to our music, literature, theatre, film and visual arts...all thriving today.
   One young person I can think of who epitomizes this, regularly attends our popular Open Mic. nights at The Imp in Merthyr.
   He aspires to be a better poet and performer of his work. He is already a very powerful performer, reciting his poems and raps with great skill and intensity.
   There's very little money in poetry and even less possibility of celebrity. Yet this is his chosen path during very hard times, of which he has experienced many.
   Like the character in my poem below ( a person I used to teach), he represents another side of the Valleys in all its exciting complexity.
   One day, maybe, the media will fully acknowledge such people in a serious way, showing their lives with all the troubles and triumphs.

VAUGHANY ON-A TELLY

First time f' yers
an I seen im on-a telly,
Shane Vaughan, Vaughany
talkin from Cardiff prison
(well, tha's is second ome!).

But I woz totelee gobsmacked
coz ol Vaughany become a Muslim,
ee woz goin on bout-a Jihad,
slaggin off them extremists,
sayin ow ee'd found-a way.

Vaughany of all people,
oo'd studied burgleree
like we done GCSEs,
on'y time ee lissened
wuz Oliver Twist an Fagin.

Vaughany oo broke inta arf the shops,
oo got a PhD in pickpocketin,
oo wen down Cyfarthfa School lunchtime
arfta a fight, swum out t the islan'
chased by masses, flung stones from up-a tree.

Vaughany the 'pprentice joy-rider
abusin-a cops, pissed outa is skull ;
but now prayin t Allah
an soundin so spoffy,
like the kids ee'd larfed at in school.

Comments

11/22/2012 01:19

We are currently researching for a thesis and we have been exploring your blog for some days. Thank you for your post it is handy for us.

03/24/2013 22:44

Wow your article too wonderful. Word is attractive. Article is too long. It took me a long time to read it.

04/22/2013 21:32

I’d never heard of this until now. Its an interesting way to save costs. Do you find that you spend too much time working though? I have some friends that want to do this when they travel.

04/22/2013 21:32

Take the LSAT one to two years prior to your planned entry to law school. This will give you ample time to retake the test if absolutely necessary! Also, buy an LSAT study book and treat it like a job.

04/22/2013 21:33

These types of unique games contain the quality recipes of various countries around the globe. Apart in the games upon cooking, ladies games supply.

04/22/2013 21:33

Contrary to public opinion, weight-lifting is a superb way in order to burn a substantial amount associated with calories, which will help you lose pounds and shed excess fat. A weight-lifting workout could be tweaked as well as altered to supply both the stellar as well as effective muscle-building workout in addition to a shockingly lively calorie-burning program. Read upon for particulars!

06/04/2013 03:02

Our aim is to provide exceptional real estate services, we make sure every client is completely satisfied. Whether you are buying or selling a home, condominium, or a business in mississauga, Aamir Yaqoob can get the deal done. We are proudly the experts in mississauga real estate

04/22/2013 21:34

Custom prices frequently leave all of us stunned as well as gasping with regard to air. The antidote with regard to sticker surprise lies approximately outlets, e-commerce as well as consignment stores.

05/17/2013 08:12

Appreciate it for this post, I am a big fan of this site would like to keep updated.

06/04/2013 22:17

A suitable plan from your service provider would make allowance for the necessary space to launch your website. Such premium plans are backed with appropriate anti-spam machinery, advanced email, blogging software, SEO tools and many advanced security features.

06/13/2013 20:03

Say goodbye to expensive car check-ups and keep your car safe and running by yourself with our new Car OBD-II Diagnostics Tool! Even the most complicated problem will seem easy since the Multi-Function Information Display on this device will tell you exactly what's going on with your vehicle! AK-47

06/18/2013 04:30

You have shared a whole lot of your views on the article. The new TV show that you have described here had a lot of offensive languages that were used. I too had the same reaction as that of yours and I liked the read.

08/14/2013 03:59

I don't watch MTV and that's probably why.

09/19/2013 20:28

It's like you study the mind. you manage to grasp a lot around this., just like you had written the making your reservation for this as well as a thing. I do believe that you simply may perform having a number of % to help stress the rub down residence a lttle bit, but rather of the, that is exceptional web site. A wonderful study. Brilliant write-up I have discovered this nowadays.

09/29/2013 05:15

our acquired an incredibly practical web site For a great and here researching about some time nowadays. My organization is usually any kind of amateur although your current success is very lots any creativeness for me. Continue the wonderful.

10/05/2013 04:15

11/05/2013 02:08

I totally agree with you. Reality programs are nothing good and helpful. There is to much violence and sex scenes.

12/16/2013 00:07

I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.

01/21/2014 07:41

I have to say i am very impressed with the way you efficiently website and your posts are so informative. You have really have managed to catch the attention of many it seems, keep it up

02/28/2014 02:53

I have enjoyed this article so much that I have read it multiple times and plan on coming back for any other articles you may publish.

03/13/2014 21:30

Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.